Six ways AI-based voice picking software can dramatically and positively influence warehouse safety…
A market study by Lucas Systems showed that among the biggest benefits organisations expect from AI-based software implementation are improved safety and increased workforce retention. Voice picking software solutions can be a critical contributor to warehouse safety, allowing workers to operate hands-free and with their eyes up, reducing the risk of accidents and enhancing overall efficiency.
Furthermore, software orchestration capabilities can mitigate bottlenecks and traffic problems, creating a safer and smoother workflow within the warehouse. In this article, we will explore how voice picking software can dramatically and positively influence warehouse safety.
1. Hands-free, eyes up operation – One of the primary advantages of voice picking software is its hands-free, eyes up nature. Operations that add a voice solution typically see a decrease in accidents. In general, handheld devices or paper-based systems, requiring workers to constantly look down and divert their attention from their surroundings, increase the risk of collisions, tripping hazards and other accidents. However, voice picking software eliminates these concerns by allowing workers to keep their hands free for handling goods and their eyes up to navigate the warehouse safely. By removing distractions and improving situational awareness, the risk of accidents is significantly reduced.
2. Real-time alerts and guidance – Warehouse operations involve numerous moving parts, including workers, forklifts and other equipment. This bustling environment can create congestion and potential hazards. Voice picking software incorporates real-time alerts and guidance, which enhances safety by keeping workers informed and aware of their surroundings. For instance, the software can warn workers of approaching forklifts or potential obstacles, ensuring they take necessary precautions. Such proactive notifications significantly reduce the risk of accidents and create a safer working environment.
3. Software orchestration for traffic management – Efficient traffic management is crucial in warehouses to prevent bottlenecks and collisions. Voice picking software offers software orchestration capabilities that can be integrated with other warehouse management systems. This integration allows for real-time tracking and coordination of workers, forklift, and other equipment. By optimising workflows and eliminating congestion, software orchestration helps prevent bottlenecks and collisions, thereby reducing the chances of accidents and injuries caused by traffic problems within the warehouse.
4. Training and onboarding – Warehouse safety begins with proper training and onboarding procedures. Voice picking software simplifies this process by offering intuitive, voice-guided training modules. New employees can quickly grasp the picking techniques, safety protocols, and navigation within the warehouse. This comprehensive training minimises human errors and ensures workers are equipped with the knowledge to operate safely from the start. Moreover, ongoing training modules can be easily updated and distributed, keeping workers up to date with the latest safety practices.
5. Safety analytics and insights – To continuously improve safety measures, warehouses need insights and analytics. Voice picking software provides valuable data on worker performance, efficiency, and potential safety concerns. Warehouse managers can analyse this information to identify patterns, areas for improvement, and potential risks. By identifying and addressing safety gaps, proactive measures can be taken to create a safer environment for workers.
6. Integration with telematics – Telematics refers to the integration of telecommunications and informatics, enabling the transmission and analysis of data over long distances. By utilising sensors, GPS tracking and wireless communication, telematics allows warehouse managers to monitor various aspects of their operations in real-time. Telematics integrated with voice can enhance worker safety by monitoring vehicle and equipment conditions and providing timely updates to workers and managers, enabling proactive maintenance and communication, and reducing the risk of accidents.
By promoting hands-free, eyes up operation, reducing physical strain, and providing real-time alerts and guidance, voice-directed software solutions help minimise the risk of accidents and injuries. Furthermore, software orchestration capabilities ensure efficient traffic management, reducing bottlenecks and improving overall workflow.
Lucas customer Southwire experienced great benefits using voice-directed solution Jennifer to work alongside its warehouse management system to increase productivity and improve accuracy and safety in three of its larger US distribution centres.
With comprehensive training modules and safety analytics, warehouses can continually improve their safety practices and create a secure working environment for their employees. As technology continues to evolve, voice picking software can play an increasingly vital role in shaping the future of warehouse safety.
- For more information, please contact Chandru Palaniyandi, corporate marketing manager at Lucas Systems, at email@example.com or on 001 724/940-7174